When I was small, one of my favourite past times was to read the encyclopedia. I just loved to find out about all kinds of different things. You can imagine how excited I was to read this morning that today marked the launch of the Encyclopedia of Life,
"an unprecedented global effort to document all 1.8 million named species of animals, plants, and other forms of life on Earth." (source: http://www.eol.org/press_release.html)Winner of 2007 TED Prize, E.O. Wilson presented his TED wish in March 2007:
“I wish that we will work together to help create the key tool that we need to inspire preservation of Earth’s biodiversity: the Encyclopedia of Life,” Wilson said at TED. “What excites me is that since I first put forward this idea, science has advanced, technology has moved forward. Today, the practicalities of making this encyclopedia real are within reach as never before.”I'm so excited that perhaps it is best to simply click on the EOL website to find out more about it at www.eol.org or listen to Wilson's talk at TED 2007 at http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/83.
Wow.
No comments:
Post a Comment