29 July 2007

design your self

For several weeks now I have been reading a book that is full of inspiration, design your self by designer Karim Rashid. It's one of those books that "found" me. And I found it at TGA in Senayan City, a bookstore that has proven to be a source of inspiration for me and Dani in particular, extending to Inspirit in general!

Many months ago when Senayan City was still newly opened, I remember seeing what I thought was a new bookstore - "Hey!" I said, "There's a new bookstore there, TGA!" To which Dani with a disinterested voice said, "Oh, you mean Toko Gunung Agung?" - which immediately deflated my interest. I quickly jumped to the assumption that I wouldn't find anything interesting there.

Then one day, I decided I'd explore it anyway. And what gems I found! I bought my first copy of Change the Way You See Everything there, which I eventually gave to Nunu. Many other books followed, the most recent being design your self and a book on how to use post its. Both of my latest purchases were eagerly claimed by Dani as inspiration for work he was doing at the time. So I went ahead and bought my own copy of design.

Do what you believe
and you will end up
where you belong.

This is but one of the many inspiring quotes by Karim Rashid, a designer whom I first came across in Daniel Pink's book A Whole New Mind.

The above statement is so true. As I began to think about what I really wanted to do, what my passion really was, the one word that kept on coming up was FACILITATION. So when Dani suggested that we start our own outfit, where facilitation was the main focus, there was no turning back!

Nova asked me the other day, "What is your passion?" and without batting an eye I answered, "INSPIRIT." I have done what I believe and here is where I have ended up, and here is where I belong.

While chatting to a taxi driver the other night, he asked me what I do. I explained that I was a trainer in communication. After talking more about what types of things I did, he then exclaimed, "There is an urgent need for better communication, isn't there? People simply don't say what they mean, so things don't change." While talking to Pak Alexander from Sawahlunto - a taxi driver who had once been an owner of a car rental business that unfortunately went bankrupt because of poor investment - I found that I discovered a really good way to explain what we do!

Put simply, we get people to communicate. That is, in essence, what facilitation is all about!

No comments: