
When you have compassion, says Bob Thurman, all boundaries disappear. There is no longer a you or a me, but we are all one. What you feel, I feel too. This does not mean, he continues, that we become absorbed by another person's pain - for example. On the contrary. Because we are able to feel another person's pain, we then have the opportunity to give that person hope. Through joy. Through love. Through laughter.
I learned yesterday that compassion does not come easy. And I also learned that when I am faced with a lack of compassion, it shocks me. To the core of my heart, in fact. To the point of tears, I discovered...after the shock and anger had subsided.
In our vibrant communication course one of the key attitudes we insist one should have, especially with facilitating or training, is interest and empathy. I now feel that the more appropriate word we should use is compassion. The ability to care and feel and show our interest and empathy. Beyond boundaries...as they have ceased to exist.
My compassion for others, I also found, is even stronger for marginalized communities or groups who are discriminated against. Therefore, my reaction towards what I consider to be unnecessary and callous remarks is much more violent. Inwardly, of course, though this time I simply had to explode. Which I did. To people I trust.
When telling one of these special friends about my reaction, I could no longer hold back the tears. I realized that what I felt was extreme sadness for the lack of compassion that in turn enabled such comments to be made.
What I am convinced about is that compassion is at the heart of INSPIRIT and what we do. Without it, one cannot be truly present...another quality that is essential for any vibrant facilitator who is true and sincere.
No comments:
Post a Comment