10 January 2008

two new little angels

"Ibu?" said Rafa, starting one of his philosophical discussions with Ibu - one of the many ones they had during our recent stay in Manila. "When we die, do we become God?" he continued. My 75 year old mother (though she definitely does not look it!) looked at her 5 year old great grand nephew, and answered, "No, but in each of us God is present. So when we die, that part of us that is God, returns to Him."
"So we become angels?" Rafa concluded.

Two new little four-legged angels joined Kaos Kaki in the span of two weeks...our little Pupung, the youngest of our cat clan died on 31 December after a sudden illness. Here he is on the left, furiously cleaning his toes!

...and then my furry snowball Salju, passed away this morning caused by complications from several illnesses. She was second to the youngest, having joined our menagerie a few months ago after living on the streets with some tukang becaks. I was hoping she would bring some little white kittens to our family. But it wasn't meant to be. When we first got her, she was rather greyish...but after a warm bath, she became as white as snow. Hence her name, Salju.

In my collection of iPhoto pictures, I have an album titled "Sources of Joy" - which each and every beast we have and have had, is. Pupung and Salju - being the youngest two in our brood - were very playful and loving and as the Filipinos say, malambing.

So I am grateful that they did bring so much joy to me, to our home. Which is why, although I know that they are free from pain and probably happily frolicking with all our other beasts who have gone ahead... letting go is still a difficult process. As it was with Kaos Kaki a few months ago.

I can hear my friend saying, "It always will be." Letting go of the physical presence of someone is never easy. What comforts me, of course, is knowing that they are with people I love who have also gone ahead... who I know are loving them unconditionally...Bapak, of course, is one of them.

Indie Arie just sang, "...and I know that this too shall pass..." - so I will
let this feeling of grief and sadness go...and let it pass.

Thank you, my little angels - Pupung and Salju - for being such joyful sources of love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wah...
damai pasti njerit2 kegirangan kl ketemu
pUs....PuS.....PuuuuSSSSS
mmiiiiiaaaauuung.....katanya