14 October 2008

Where do I begin?


Many times I'd start to write a new post for this blog while I was in Cambodia, only to end up stopping because there was just so much I wanted to say! And even now I don't know where to begin. I thought of doing something chronological, but I think I'll just post what comes to mind as the memories of my ten days in Cambodia pop up.

The best part, of course, was exploring Siem Reap and the Angkor complex with Ibu. Here we are at the beginning of our tour on the 2nd day of our stay in Siem Reap.

We had actually been up since 5 a.m. that morning, hoping to catch the sunrise at Angkor Wat. But, the gods had other plans for us and the clouds pretty much blocked any possible spectacular sunrise. Yet, it was pretty cool being there with Ibu...and it was still an awesome experience.

The picture here shows us at the south gate entrance to Angkor Thom, on the bridge that is lined with statues of 54 gods on one side and 54 demons on the other. Decided to take a picture next to the gods for good luck.

The picture below is one that you have probably seen many times - but seeing it in person still takes the breath away. My years of studying cultural anthropology and months of archaeological excavation work in Japan came flooding back as I stood there and marvelled at this human-made construction. Simply breath-taking.


No comments: