
...it's about THEM."
As I sit here writing this post, I am still processing the four days of learning I went through during our recent training, The Secret of Vibrant Facilitation. The reflection above was made by one of the trainers of the amazing team that made it all happen. Yes, it WAS amazing. There were challenges, for sure, as this was a team that consisted of three different organizations, INSPIRIT, Teater Garasi from Yogya - with whom we have had the privilege and joy of collaborating with for the past year, and Theater Down South from Manila. It was also a first time collaboration for all of us.
The interesting thing I learned about this particular collaboration is that the main reason behind making it all possible was because each and every one of us has a passion for what we do. Individually, all are also open learners, eager to explore possibilities, push our imagination to the limit ... creating realities beyond what we do on our own.
The "them" mentioned above was the participants. It was quite possibly a mind-exploding experience for many of them, a journey they never could have imagined, to a place they probably never even knew they could go to. And I applaud their courage to put their faith in us, to pave the way for them to travel, and allow them to discover their own final destinations in the learning space we co-created. And they got there together and celebrated it together. By the end of the four days, they celebrated their learning through heart-moving group performances that depicted the journeys they took...individually and collectively...speaking with their bodies, expressing their thoughts through words, sharing their feelings in song and with music. These written words alone cannot even begin to describe how I felt when Uci began singing the first verse of that famous song, "Mimpi...adalah kunci..." ... "Dreams...are the key..." and yes, the tears began to flow. That very moment, her voice melted even the coldest of hearts.
And captured mine.
Yes, at that moment it became crystal clear that indeed, as aptly put in the words above, "It's about them."
I am sure that the processing of what people felt, thought, and did is still continuing within the participants as it has been on-going for the past two days within me. I am working hard at harnessing the energy that was created and distilling the lessons for all of "us", to create a new experience for when we do this the next time. And there will be a next time. Right now I'm not sure what shape or form it will take, but I do know that it will be different, it will be better, and the "us" - the training team - will empower others to shine because we will be connected not only to the participants but more importantly with each other; and we will shine together, so that "they" will shine even brighter.
Such a collaboration demands hard work, heart work, and a commitment to having a shared vision of where we want to end up. It commands a willingness to be much more engaging than each individual or team unit may be on their own. It forces us to let go of the "me" and co-create who the "us" is, and how the members who form the "us" will contribute to paving the path towards that shared vision.
I applaud the ability of those who usually work on their own, to adapt to a new way of doing things, to be open to the unexpected, to show up and be present - wholeheartedly and completely...without abandon. Thank you. I give YOU a standing ovation as much as I give the 28 participants who form the THEM of Vibrant 15.
No comments:
Post a Comment