Rafa is an example of a child who has a mother and great grandmother who truly appreciate his creative capacity. In one of his recent conversations with his mother, Lesley, he expressed his joy that his mother was home early from work on a Saturday. He woke up from his afternoon nap to find his mommy beside him. And this is the conversation they had:
Rafa: Mama! You're home! You came home with the sun! (because the sun was still out) Lesley: Yes, it's Saturday...so I came home with the sun.
R: Did your friends go home with the sun too?
L: Some did, but not everyone. Some didn't go home with the sun.
R: I'm glad you're not like them. I love you Mama.
L: I love you too.
and then Rafa continued the conversation on another topic, which sort of went like this:
R: Mama, can we stay home instead of going shopping tomorrow?
L: Sure, why?
R: I want to fix my toys.
L: Okay.
R: Yes, I want to fix my toys so I can give my old toys to children who need them.
L: Very good boy!
Rafa is truly a gift of creativity and compassion. And as Sir Ken Robinson says, we need to "see our children for the hope for the future that they are."
We have both a privilege and a responsibility to ensure that our children are equiped for that future, by facilitating their learning, listening to their wisdom, and encouraging them to make a difference in this world.
Thank you m'ijo, for facilitating my learning and reminding me that you are hope and compassion and kindness and love and playfulness and joy...!
P.S. For those of you who are interested, watch and listen to what Sir Ken Robinson has to say at TED (www.ted.com/tedtalks).
Blogged with Flock
No comments:
Post a Comment